Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My New York Experience


I just finished reading an article from the New York Times "Newcomers Adjust, Eventually, to New York"

Here's my own story:

The first week after moving to New York and trying to understand the subway system, I saw a crowd of people suddenly start running down some stairs. I figured maybe someone had gotten hurt or some other kind of emergency. I was curious and decided to follow the crowd and see what had happened. I started laughing when I realized they were all just running to catch the train. I found it humorous because a train arrives every 5 minutes. So why kill yourself to save such a short period of time is how I saw it. Well, within a month, I caught myself acting like everyone else and running as fast to catch a incoming train. That's when I realized that I had become a New Yorker. I understood that my actions were ridiculous, but this is the big city and reason and logic had nothing to do with surviving. I may be a lemming but I wasn't a innocent from the burbs anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home